Nov 11, 2009

CHAPTER SEVEN

As the truck groaned out of sight, Jerry and Bob returned to bed and laid very still. Nothing was said for at least ten minutes.

"Jerry!" ..."Jerry" ..."Jerry !!" ..."The name is Gerald!" ..."yeah, Gerald." "What?" ..."Let's don't dig no more tank traps." ..."Yes, No more tank traps"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Applause! Applause! That explains why I've never fallen into a tank trap, Dad quit building them!

Anonymous said...

The end? So soon? Loved it. Great job Uncle Gene!

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

The novel is over so now I can comment. Gene wrote the story and I think he submitted it to the Saturday Evening Post, but it was never published. He really embellished it to make a good story, but in my mind it played out a little differently. We called it a fox hole which we dug about three feet deep and covered it on the west end with some old boards an an old tin sign we had around the place. The east end was open large enough for us to enter and put our coaster wagon in. As a mater of fact the wagon was in the fox hole when the 6X6 Army truck drove its front wheel in. Luckily it pushed the wagon out without damaging it. The way I remember it, the truck was high centered and they had to get another truck to pull them out. The other truck may have been following them. Our Dad was the one who called it a tank trap, and convinced Bob and I that the FBI would come after us for sabotaging a military vehicle.
Dad had a great time telling every one in town about the incident, There were not too many light moments for a father of three children overseas in wartime. The part about our driveway going the same direction as the road to the dance hall, and it being close to the German prison camp was accurate. Part of our fantasy was what would we do if the prisoners escaped and came to our house. I think that might have been the reason that we had the opening facing in their direction. Bob may have another version of the story, but remember he was only eight years old at the time.
Jerry aka Gerald.

Anonymous said...

WAR IS HECK!!! Dad wouldn't let us say HELL. I'm in total aggrement with Jer.... Gerald about what really happened. I think thats a first. It was a good story after Gene refined it and Dad did tell us we were in trouble with the Government. I think thats the only time I remember my Dad telling a Fib. We were worried about it for as long as kids worry about anything before some new event occupies our minds. It was quite an experience growing up in war time. I was so gullable that I was always being teased by the big brothers and scared to death. There was a small airfield about a mile south of our place and there were a few piper cubs out there. At that time they were all painted yellow. Whenever I was outside and one flew over Gene or Don would holler JAPS JAPS and I would run for the cave screaming in fear. I should have been a nervous wreck before they all left home. I have some fond memories about that place and those times. I enjoyed the story as gene wrote it. Hope you all did too.

Old Irish (not German!!

IRISH

Anonymous said...

This is a portrait of Bob, anyway the ears, wrist watch, beard an furrowed brow are his, not so sure about the nose. This must have been in the early 80,s when Bob was working three jobs.
Jerry

Colleen said...

That is a very tired looking drawing of dad. I recognize the watch. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'll bet it is in the early 80's! Sounds about right looking at Danno's handwriting.

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Uncle Mike.

Colleen said...

You in that park in Norfolk right before you married the old man.