Nov 16, 2009

STATUE OF LIBERTY

I am sure some of you got the e-mail a while ago that was going around about this. I thought it was a fascinating e-mail.

July 1918. Camp Dodge, Iowa. This is when and where 18,000 soldiers were staged to form the shape of Lady Liberty. The why of this was to promote the sale of war bonds. The photo was never used for that purpose.

Conditions that day were less than ideal. July, temperature was over 100 degrees. These men were wearing wool uniforms. I can't imagine what it must have been like.

Snopes has an article that can tell you about it better than I can. It has a lot of the dimensions and how it was laid out. There is also a photo on this site you need to enlarge and look at. Amazing!

You absolutely must follow this link (don't forget to enlarge them) to similar images that were created, many from this era.

Why am I posting about this? Because the above photo is actually my great uncle, Corey Hartford. Had I never got involved with my project, I would never have known I had a relative who took part in it. The minute I saw this picture, I knew the story behind it. Sorry to say, when I got the book about our family history, I quickly looked at it and went directly to "my" generation to do most of my reading. Then I put the book away. Until Project. (I now consider myself to be an expert on this book.)

I would like to know more about how his photo happened to be taken. What were the circumstances? Did all of those present have individual photos taken in this manner?

I don't think I will ever have any answers to those questions. I don't think there is anyone still living who knows the answers.

9 comments:

Colleen said...

How cool is that?

Now... what can I be an expert in? Napping?

Colleen said...

OMG, that's Uncle Bill and Aunt Mary Lou! Ha, I've never seen that picture!

Anonymous said...

Yep, Unclel Bill, and Aunt Mary Lou. Date? 1967? Uncle Bill's graduation from Wausau high school?

Bobbie said...

Wausa.

Colleen said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Danny, Casey, Kellie, Shannon, and her big ole' diaper! Must copy picture NOW.

Anonymous said...

Did I get the date right on Uncle Bill? And ditto to Colleen.

-Kellie

Bobbie said...

1967 would be right.

Anonymous said...

Who hooo!!! And I love the new picture too!

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Spencer just saw the bathtub picture and thought Shannon was Corey! And that Dan was Aunt Colleen! Then he got a look at the diaper and thought it was funny.

He also looked at the 2 handsome dudes, and wanted to know 2 things: 1) why am I dressed like that and 2) why do I look mad?

LOL!

-Kellie