Feb 13, 2009

Sequel to Fat Lip

There was one symptom I didn't tell the doctors about. Didn't event think of it. Until this morning.

Sometime, days before my first fat lip, I told Bob something was biting me. Once in a while. Really itched. Irritating. Not really like bites either, more like little welts.

This morning while posting, I thought something bit me . Then another one. And another one. By 11:00 I had welts all over. Colleen called and I told her about my "bites" and what was happening now. She said I had flea bites. Said Dan has a dog and Raidyn probably brought them when he came over the other morning. I said "My house does not have fleas !!". We argued, and then I got out my handy dandy new lap top and googled flea bites. Found pictures and description of bites. I was right. Then I got to thinking about miserable things I had heard other people have. I thought of shingles. I googled that and knew right away that wasn't the problem. Then I thought hives? I googled that. OMG. I have hives! The article even describes hives and what they can do to lips.

I called my doctors office and told them what I thought. I asked if I could possibly get in so he could see it before it went away. (What was I thinking?) They said to come right in.. The nurse helped me get my coat off and took my crutches. She looked at just my arms and said "You have hives". She took my vitals and as she left, she said she would be back later to give me a shot. I thought she was joking. The doctor came in next and asked me how I was doing. I said I was itching like crazy. From across the room he looked at me and said, "You have hives". Unanimous. He said, first we have to get you a shot. Then you need to start on an antihistamine. Then you need to get some lotion from the drug store that might help.

We discussed my diet. I said boring and too much fast food in the last 9 weeks. Nothing new there to cause problems. We discussed medications. The only thing I have taken recently that was different, was the prednisone. He said, "stop that right away". ( I think the foot is going to start swelling again.) He asked if I had gotten any new clothes. I said not in the last 9 weeks. I thanked him, he left and the nurse came in laughing and gave me a shot in the butt. I can't remember the last time I had a shot. Seems like I get all mine through IV'S.

I went home and called Colleen to report what I had found out. We went through the list. Medications, food and clothes. I said nothing there. She said I was wrong. She said I did get a form of new clothing. THE BOOT. The time line of the start of my problems works. Because of the swelling, I don't wear a sock in the boot. Bare foot.

Could I be having an allergic reaction to that darn thing ????

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Yes.

And thanks, now Dan is going to think that I think his dog has fleas!!!

(The kids HAD visited in this timeline and I was thinking outside of the box. I WAS right about the boot, though.)

Where's my prize? I need a storage shed....

:-P

JunesHGP said...

In a nut shell...yes...ask your doc