Mar 11, 2009

"Potty Break"

For Murphy. Our neighbor's dog.

Monday around noon our neighbor lady came over to talk to Bob. They has just gotten word that a brother-in-law had been killed in a traffic accident in Iowa. They needed to go and would be back late that night.

Their dog Murphy (a German dachshund with an Irish name?) would need a break. About 6:00pm. With nothing on his agenda, Bob said "of course". He was given the means to enter the house and instructions what door to open for Murphy.

I think they forgot to inform Murphy of the plans.

Bob got there at the appointed time. Let himself in and opened the door for Murphy. Nothing doing.

Murphy protected the house well from the unknown intruder. Not being the biggest breed there is, he kind of hid behind things and barked. A lot.

Bob called. "What should I do?" he says.

I said, "Go out the door, stand where he can't see you and wait". He says, " How long?" I said, "Long enough for him to do his business. Give him at least 30 minutes!"

Bob called.

No go. (No pun intended)

"What should I do?"

I said, "Lock up and come on home".

He did, Murphy didn't, and I don't think Bob wants to take Murphy on again.

11 comments:

Bobbie said...

Not Swedes !!!!!

JunesHGP said...

ahhhh....contrar.....
I am both a bit swede and irish, if I dare say so on this blog!!!

:0)

am I still family?!?!?

Bobbie said...

If we were talking puppies you might be called a "mutt".


Little bit of Swede or little bit o' Irish?

Of course you are. You can't help it if you're Irish! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

June, I'm a little swede, and irish too! Personally, speaking from experience, I think it's a good blend. Ask Dan, Casey, Shannon and Weenie, and they'll probably tell you that too!

Colleen said...

So does the clumsiness come from the Irish or the Swede side?

Ya know, Corey's issue could just be the Pollock coming through. Talk about mutts, look at our children's generation!

Bobbie said...

Clumsiness comes from the Irish. They are so full of blarney they can't control their movements.

My POOR watered down grandchildren !!

JunesHGP said...

Ya know - reading this a second time - something else comes to mind.....
MURPHY's LAW......

Anonymous said...

Maybe your mom is right. I did stumble upon a cute little BLONDE Swede years ago, and with just a wee bit o blarney I convinced her that we should move to Havelock, have a bunch of kids, and get married. When she thought that was a good idea look what happened. before long we had a family of good looking Irish/Swedish kids. I wonder what kind of new car her dad would have offered me if I just would have forgot the whole thing. I'll never know but after 42 years it would be a classic.If stumbling over that Swede was klutziness we should all be so lucky.Almost time for bed. Cant wait for the morning paper to see if I'm in the obituaries and if I am, see if they spelled my name right.
Old IRISH, Dad, or Grandpa.

Bobbie said...

Bob's comment.

I want to let you know I set him straight when he proposed. I switched the order he used in his proposal to the following.

Marriage.
Havelack.
Babies.

The car he refered to is one thing my father offered me if I would forget I ever knew Bob and make him go away. I didn't accept the bribe. We eloped.

I was disowned for marrying Bob. Lasted a whole year.

Eventually, after some manipulating by one of my brothers, and over a few cold "brews, they became close.

Shortly after, my Father passed away.

Colleen said...

Why does Dad keep thinking the car was offered to HIM?

Bobbie said...

Wishful thinking?

I do know it was offered. The offer remained on the table no matter who it was made to.

It stayed there !