Seems like Jerry is the only one who dared to make a guess. Actually, he was on the right track. It is someone from my side of the family. They just aren't Monsons. They are Hartfords to be more exact. Edwin and Ada are their names. They were my Mother's parents.
Grandma was a large woman and if Grandpa had been any thinner, he would have been a goner on the first windy day. Grandpa collected horse figurines and Grandma collected any salt and pepper shakers she could find at Kresgee's. (It has been so long since there has been any of those stores around, I don't really remember the correct spelling.) Grandma also was a master at crocheting. There wasn't anything in their home she didn't put her touch on. From dish rags, wash cloths, bath towels, pillow cases-you name it and it had something crocheted on it. There were dolls, very similar to what we call "Barbies" today, that she would buy and crochet elaborate gowns for. I had one at one time, but I have no idea whatever became of it.
Grandpa was quite a character. I don't remember a time when he had teeth. Except for the obvious appearance, he ate better than some people with false teeth. I don't know if he ever had a set of false teeth now that I think about it. He worked at a dairy for many years and rode a bicycle to get around a lot of the time.
They had 5 children. Myron, Eva, Marty, Alice and Eddie. Their home was in the north part of town where there used to be a lot of flooding before the ACE took care of that problem. My Mother was there one day after one of these floods when their basement still had water in it. Uncle Eddie, who was 15 at the time, decided to go to the basement and replace a burned out light bulb for Grandma. He was electrocuted. Grandma found him and tried to pull him out of the basement. We don't know why she wasn't electrocuted too. It was a terrible day. My oldest brother saw some of what went on in the basement and remembers it.
I don't know if life was ever the same for them after that. Towards the end of Grandpa's life he left my Grandmother and moved out of town. I never saw him much after that.
Jerry would come closest to dating the picture as I have no idea when it was taken. Funny how something like a car is used to try and date an event. It does give me some idea, which I didn't have before. Thanks Jerry.
9 comments:
I never would have guessed!
As for the new picture, Arvid, you, and Bill of course. You just caught a mess of fish and it's probably 1958 or so. And it's a REALLY GOOD picture.
PS Kellie is never gonna see the "Hi Kellie," because she knows who is in the picture. Unless she gets really curious, like I did, I suppose.
Why, when I right (or left for that matter )click on a picture, does nothing happen??????????????
Colleen's right mom. That was a no brainer, and no need to guess. The reason though, that I click in them, is to copy them! I love the one with you and your brothers, buy WHY do you look oh so serious?
-Kellie
It took him a while, but Spencer guessed it was Grandma in the middle!
-Kellie
p.s. How old were you in this picture? I'm guessing 10.
LOL, this ad was from a time when meat was cheap! (And back before commas were invented! I could barely read the one sentence!)
My guess is that the Add was from about 1950 or a little later. I remember Mom sending me to the store to get a Dollar and a half chuck roast which would have been about four lbs.No wonder that they paid me $50.00 a week for a sixty four hour work week. I guess it all balances out with inflation. Jerry
Hamburger is now 4 bucks a lb!!!
-Kellie
Arvid says those coveralls he had on were from Grandpa Hartford. He said it was hot summertime but he wanted to wear them so bad that he got very warm in them. He says Grandpa worked for Meadow Gold Creamery at the time and the coveralls were to withstand the cold, not the heat!!!! Sherry
Also, the picture of the kids on the stairs is wonderful!!!!
Post a Comment