Sep 20, 2008

Bad Night

Friday morning, 3:10 AM. I woke up. Nothing new for a third shifter. Happens most nights when I am home. Must be because it would be lunch time if I were at work?

I read for a while, trying to get back to sleep. After a while, I put the book down and thought I would try to sleep. Then, (sixth sense?) I felt like I should check on Casey. I knocked on his door and he said "Yes?" I said, "Are you ok?" He answered "ya Mom." I turned to leave but I had a "feeling". I opened his door and turned the light on. I knew right away he was having a reaction, a bad one. Casey has been a diabetic since he was 10 years old. If you don't know anything about a diabetic reaction, it can be very scary. They don't know what they are doing, what they are saying, where they are and they can be incredibly strong. Afterwards they don't remember anything that happened.

I ran for a small glass of water with a large amount of dissolved sugar in it. I fought him for about twenty minutes before I went to get Bob for help. I didn't want to get Bob because I was afraid he would hurt himself fighting with Casey so soon after he had had surgery. By that time, the first try with sugar water was all over me, the wall, the bed and I had scratched Casey with a finger nail while struggling with him.. I got another glass and we both tried to get it down him. It soon seemed like we needed help, and Bob told me to call 911. I did, several times. No glasses. They were upstairs. I think I called 811 or some crazy number. Got glasses and made the call. By that time Casey was on his feet and screaming at me. Blankety, blank blank. He was calling the police he said. He had his cell phone in his hand and was dialing at this time. The 911 operator was listening to everything and told me to get Bob and get out of the house. Help was coming.

Bob went to get dressed and I went outside to the front steps. Me, in what the girls would call my "old lady Jammie's". I was waiting for the ambulance and fire truck. Fire trucks always come with the ambulances here. I could see the flashing lights coming.

Not the ambulance or the fire truck. Two squad cars and five officers piled out, each with a hand on their firearm. I am too stunned to think much about this. They want to know where Casey is and I tell them he is in the basement, but I think he is coming out of it. That is because he was on his feet and screaming when we left him. During a reaction he isn't capable of standing. They all proceed cautiously in the house and down the basement. The fire truck gets here before the ambulance and four para-medics come in the house. At that time the officers come upstairs with Casey and he is almost normal. While the para-medics checked Casey's blood sugar and did an EKG, I saw the officers leave and go back to the basement. Casey checked out ok, with a level of 140 and heart was ok. Ambulance was canceled. Casey signed a waiver that he didn't want to go to the hospital. Finally, all nine of them leave.

Bob and I sat at the kitchen table while Casey kinda went and hid in the basement. He knew we were upset !! As we talked, it dawned on me! I think he did call the police and they had no idea what they were walking in to. I can't imagine what he told them !! They did have their hands on their guns !!!! I also think they went back downstairs and searched for drugs. One thing for sure. They had to have seen enough diabetic supplies to convince them !!!!!

Casey had gone on one of his long bike rides that afternoon and didn't eat enough before he went to bed. Therefore, reaction..

Shattered nerves and worn out, Bob went to bed. I couldn't sleep. I stayed up.

Bad night. Like June said, "Nuf said".

7 comments:

JunesHGP said...

Yikers.
Nuf said.

Glad you had angels (sixth sense) watching over you all that night!

Colleen said...

Must be bad when MOM calls the ambulance.

Did they clean up his room after they searched it?

Anonymous said...

This is your friend from Florida. I couldn't get into to write a comment, so thank you for showing me how!!Girls, I did have to send her a phone call but I was nice to her. What a great girl to have for a FRIEND!!Carol

Colleen said...

Look at that, she does exist!

Way to go, Carol.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol! Glad to read from ya!

Colleen, yes, for Mom to call 911, it must have been a BAD one.

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Bobbie,

I have been there for some of Casey's "bad ones" and they are really terrifying! Luckily he was ok, niether you or Bob were hurt. Jonathan is now working as an EMT and see a lot of these types of situations on a daily basis. I am glad that everyone is ok!

Love,
Leigh

Bobbie said...

Leigh,

Yes you were !!!

The differene now is time, age and the progression of the disease. He is also a full grown man, and much bigger and stronger than he was way back then.

How I wish for those years when he was 10 or 20. We never knew how good we had it.

Love you,

"""""""""" Mom""""""""""""