Actually mt bottom lip was swollen. It happened a week ago this morning. I got up and nothing was wrong. Then the left side of my bottom lip started to swell. Fast! By the time Bob got up my lip was so swollen it had actually turned out. By 1:00 PM the swelling started to move down my chin. I decided to go to my doctor's walk in clinic at 3. Bob took me. It was one of my doctor's partners who had clinic duty. He just stood there, looked at my face and said it was probably an allergic reaction. Said there was nothing he could do. Said it would probably go away. But. If the swelling started down my neck, go to the emergency room. Duh !! I knew that much. I went home, and sure enough, Saturday the swelling was down. Never gave it another thought.
Then Tuesday morning. No problems. I had an appointment with my periodontist at 8:00 AM for a routine cleaning. The hygienist did her duty and my dentist came in to check her work. After my dentist finished, she got up and started visiting with me about a possible bridge. She stopped mid-sentence and asked me what was wrong with my lip. My mouth and lips were numb so I didn't know it. This time my top lip, left side was starting to swell. I touched my lip and was shocked. Just like Friday. I told her about Friday and going to the doctor. I also told her about my foot and how terribly swollen it still was nine weeks after surgery.
She was shocked the doctor didn't give me something. She left the room and came back with 2 benydril capsules and had me take them. She wanted me to see my own doctor about my lip. She was concerned about my foot and why it was still so swollen. She asked if I was watching for blood clots. I said no, should I? She said yes. She thought there was no reason for my foot and leg to be so swollen 9 weeks out from surgery.
By the time I got home a few minutes later, the swelling had moved past the middle of my lip and was going up towards my nose. I called my doctor and was able to get an apt. for 2:30. I told him about Friday, my experience that morning and my dentists concern about my foot. By that time the medication had reduced the swelling of my lip greatly, so he didn't get the whole effect. He gave me a prescription for Prednisone, an anti inflammatory. He said if the swelling came back he would have to start allergy tests. He was also very concerned about my foot and leg being so swollen so far out from surgery. He said, "That isn't right". He thought the medication might help that too, but if it persisted to come back in.
My dentist was so concerned, she called me at home that evening at 9:00 to see if I had seen a doctor and if I had found anything out. I told her about my day and she was somewhat relieved. Wow, was I impressed with her!
I took two pills when I got home as directed. By morning, the swelling in my leg had gone down and some of the swelling in the foot had gone down. By mid-morning the ankle was swollen again but not so much the leg. It stayed swollen until this morning when I had some relief again. No more problems with my lips swelling.
I am getting real concerned about my foot. I still am not allowed to walk on it. I don't even see the surgeon until March 4th. Then , if it is better, he said I would have to start physical therapy.
At this time I have no idea how soon I may be able to go back to work.
2 comments:
man, that really stinks. stay on your doc. esp if it doesnt get better soon!
Did you go in today for the hives?
(You're really a mess, you know.)
Post a Comment