Slum Dog Millionaire that is.
Casey wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday and I said I wanted to see this movie. He said he would take me, but he warned me. He said he wouldn't like it. Not his kind of movie. Nothing he would choose to see for his own enjoyment.
My birthday came and it was a bust. Cold and snowing. Being on crutches, it was decided not to go. Another day. We just stayed home and did pretty much nothing.
Another day came Saturday. We went to the afternoon matinee. Drinks and a huge bucket of popcorn. I sat back in my seat ready to be entertained.
I felt like I had a good idea of what the story line was going to be, and I was right. I just wasn't prepared for how it was told.
I walked out of the theater into my city, my state and my country. I thanked God. For our values, our ideals and our sense of right and wrong. For our most basic beliefs in human rights.
Maybe I even walked out of there feeling guilty. Did you see how I qualified that statement? Maybe. I did feel guilty. For all the things I have. My home, food, and something as basic as the faucets in my home that give me all the water I could possibly want. Then there are my "toys". So insignificant now. I am embarrassed to even mention them. Everything I take for granted.
I have to wonder if any of us can honestly say we have personally done anything to make anybodies' life better lately. Have we donated to the food bank? Have we donated clothing , furniture or any other items to worthy causes? And if we have, do we think it will help the needy or are we thinking about the tax deduction? Maybe, serving food at one of the places for the hungry? How about a couple of hours delivering food to shut ins? There are some things we can do that don't take a lot of time or money. All it takes is realizing that we could do something and then acting on it.
We left the theater and Casey said he was surprised. He liked the movie. He too had no idea how the story would be told.
Maybe entertained isn't how I felt. I felt like I had food for thought.
Maybe more "food" for my conscience than I wanted.
5 comments:
Great post Bobbie, I think that the trouble the country and the world are in today is because of the prosperity of the last fifty or so years. We have taken it for granted that we should live in nice comfortable home, nice cars and no worry about where the next meal comes from. Our parents did not grow up with these things, and indeed we are our brothers keepers. Jerry
I knew I should have gone to see that movie!
Good post!
Sooooooo, who's serving the homeless on Easter?!?!?!?!?
:0)
Sounds like I need to go see that movie too.
DaVincies!!! Bless them. Did you watch the trailer above?
Good post mom.
Post a Comment