I am undecided on what to write about. I sooo want to continue with "Stupid People" but decided I would save that for later. Instead I am onto another topic that could be considered "stupid".
Unions. I have been a member of one or the other for almost 25 years. Believe me, they are great, up to a point. Without them I don't know where some of us would be. Big business would definitely be a lot bigger and the working person would be at minimum wage in in what are now union protected jobs.
BUT. Some of our union rules border on the insane. Especially now with all the downsizing that has gone on. Our plant has 78 people on 3rd shift. A few short years ago we had 600 or more.
On occasion I have to use the east freight elevator. These have large double doors. Ours has a wooden slated door on the outside and a heavier metal one on the inside.
You push the wooden one up first and then the metal one. To close you use straps to close the wooden one and then the metal one. Last night I needed the elevator twice. No problem with the wooden one but I could hardly get the metal one open. It was no easier to close. The second time, I could hardly get it opened and closed at all. When I got to the lower level, I hollered to Moe, our oiler, and asked him if he could tell me what the problem was. He is a really nice guy and it took him 2 minutes to tell me the door was off it's track. His response was "not my job". He called a mechanic and his response was, "that's a riggers job". (No riggers on 3rd shift.) Moe asked the mechanic if he could leave a message for the riggers on 1st. shift to fix the door. Mechanic's reply was, "that's the lead hands job". Mechanic asks Moe if there is anything else he needs. You are not gonna believe this one !! Moe says, " double cheese burger and large fry " and leaves me standing there. I am totally speechless, which I think is probably a very good thing.
In the mean time, I still have to get to the 2nd floor. Not knowing if I will be able to handle the door by myself, I really have no choice but to give it a try. I make it there and get the doors closed. (My armpits are killing me !!) I feel like I pulled an elephant around the plant. After all of this, I still don't know if a work order has been put in. If I need it tonight, and it is not fixed I am not sure what to do. I know I could try, hurt myself and go on light duty. Then there would be hell to pay. Or, I could try it and get stuck in the elevator until someone came along and got me out. I do have choices !!
No comments:
Post a Comment