Jun 5, 2008

Storms

What a night !! The sirens went off about 8:30. And went forever. Stepped out the back door and the wind was from the east. Very unusual. We went to the front door, and WOW.... What a cloud. It was almost hypnotising. There were so many cases of funnels, winds, baseball sized hail, heavy rains (2 to 7 in.), and flooding in Nebraska, I can't begin to tell you all of them. Basically, most of the state was under all of these warnings at on time or another.

Then I went to work and it happened to be calm at the time. Three o'clock. Lunch break. I went outside. It rained like I haven't seen it rain in a long time. Downpour doesn't quite do it justice. It would come down in torrents blowing to the south. That quick, the wind would change and blow it to the north. We had our flag blowing straight out facing west. At the same time you could watch clouds racing east. Then we would have rain pouring down on us and could look up, slightly to the west and see stars at the same time. Also at lunch, I heard Joni, a friend had called in to say she would not be in to work on first shift today. They had a tree come down on their roof, and their home was being drenched by rain.

The bad news is, late this afternoon conditions are to be the same, and more, possibly worse, storms are coming. We even have the "storm chasers" in town. They have been here for over a week. Should get more footage tonight.

Bob wants to go to a class get together in Columbus tonight, and I hope he can go. He is really looking forward to it.

7 comments:

JunesHGP said...

I will be traveling in NE today too - though not quite as far west as you guys. Let's hope the storms hold off until Bob and I make it home safely!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sound like the Ozarks. I have been watching your weather and saw the map for the bad weather which had you in RED. We are expected to get it again tonight here.
I have visions of no sleep and traveling tomorrow in more storms. Be careful.
Donata

Colleen said...

TORNADOES!

Columbus really isn't the best place to be for severe weather, you know. Better than Grand Island, but still not too good...

Anonymous said...

Yep, tornado's last night, and probably more tonight. Lincoln was about only 10 miles south of the supercell that roared through the state last night. One guy said in the paper, we had "dumb luck." How true. I've never seen clouds like that before. Usually, we see the storms roll in from the west, or from the south. I didn't understand why my TV was telling me to get into the basement last night. When I looked out my South windows, I saw nothing. Then, I opened my front door, and actually, got a little scared! Very scary, rolling clouds. It was coming in from the West, but the storm was to the North. Yikes!

-Kells

JunesHGP said...

Did Bob make it back home safely? My travels went well, the drive home was heavy downpour but everything else - the more serious stuff was south and east of us, thank goodness.

JunesHGP said...

BTW - Love your quotes and the latest picture of Carley.

Bobbie said...

June, Bob made it home safley just before I went to work. Luckily, we did not have a storm of any kind. Glad you didn't run into anything either !! Keep an eye on the quotes, as I have some good ones coming.....

Any more good kid "quotes" coming soon?