Jul 28, 2008

OFFICIAL

It is now official. I just finished my first day as a 1st shifter. That means that after 21 1/2 years I am on the day shift.

I hate it.

Management reduced labor by one person in my department. The first shifters decided I didn't have enough to do and voted me one more job. I said not gonna happen. They said, you have to. I said NO. They said I had to. I said, "You don't understand" !!! I don't have to. One quick trip to the union hall and there was a line up. I said 1st. Messed up 1st shifts plans.

Today was my first day. 7:00 A.M. Did I tell you I hated it?

I was up by 3:00 A.M. this morning. Happens most weekend nights to third shifters. Last night was no different. I just got up, as I knew I probably wouldn't get back to sleep.

The gal I bumped off her station worked with me all day retraining me. She took 30 min. breaks, I took 15. She took 45 min. lunch, I took 30 min. First shifters are unique, in that all they have to do is be in an upright position and nobody says anything to them. That and have a good place to hide for breaks and lunch. I haven't been there long enough to find them yet.

Can't remember, did I tell you I hated it?

It was 2:15 this afternoon when she reminded me of an all plant evacuation drill in the morning. That I knew about already. Then she reminded me that the first shifters in our department are having an "organizational" meeting in the morning to change some of the job duties. That I didn't know about. She said the job they assigned to my old job on third was going to be removed. I will see in the morning if that is true. If it is....... One more quick trip to the union hall !!!! One week may be the shortest time done on first shift !!!

Just to make everything perfectly clear, I hate 1st shift !!!!!



7 comments:

JunesHGP said...

If I remember correctly my dad worked 3rd shift pretty much his entire adult life - including 15+ yrs at American Stores and then I dont know how many at Goodyear.
He hated his transition to 1st too. But has since gotten pretty used to it. Still stays up all night though. Just sleeps during "2nd shift" I guess.
Hope it gets better for you.

Colleen said...

Ah, yes, but at least you survived an entire shift on first, I was a little worried about that, even...

Anonymous said...

The 1st shifters voted you one more job??
I don't understand the way Goodyear works.
The shift decides who does what? In most places I know of there is a job discription for the position and the supervisor assigns the jobs to be done.
I really got lost when you said,"the job they assigned to my old job on third shift was going to be removed." Removed from what? It is all a puzzle to me. How do you cope with all the schinanigans?
Donata

Colleen said...

Sister Donata, you have no idea!!! Supervisors? They have nothing to do with the jobs performed by hourly employees.

Be sure to ask about DV's, sick time, 1/2 points, voluntary lay-offs, and hospital passes. Better yet, you probably just don't want to know.

Anonymous said...

Colleen, one thing I do know.
"BOBBY HATES 1st SHIFT."

The set up seems so different from what I am familiar with. I know about hourly wage earners in other invironments.

How was your second day, Bobbie?
Donata

Bobbie said...

Donata,

My answer is, not well.

Anonymous said...

I hope that things get a little bit easier for you on the 1st shift. I can't imaging what it would be like to work nights for so long and then have to switch to days. You probably don't know if you are coming or going right now!!!

Take Care,
Leigh