Jul 24, 2008

Quiet

Quiet.. It is soooo very quiet.

We had 3 of our grand kids visit us last week for a few days. They brought their mother too. I got the early morning visits with them while Mom got some much needed rest. That is when the conversations got good. Little kids and their perceptions are hilarious . We even touched on a topic I won't discuss. It was all I could do to keep from laughing !!

One morning it was a magnifying glass. Wouldn't you know I only have one and 2 boys were fighting over it. We were out in the yard looking for all kinds of things, especially bugs, to look at. Their melted push up pops on the drive way from the day before drew a pile of ants and that was real popular.

Two mornings were spent constructing a bird trap. The materials required are many, and much time was spent in the garage looking for the right materials. A trash can was decided on as the trap. Then we needed a proper upper. We tried a book first, but it kept collapsing. Then we tried a tupper ware container. BINGO... Then we needed something to pull out the proper upper when the bird got under the trash can. I had a rope. Only problem was, it wasn't long enough. Then we found an extension cord. The one that WAS wrapped neatly on a holder. It worked just fine ! Well, what good is a trap without bait? The boys wanted to know if I had some bread, and I said sure. In we go and I get 2 pieces for each. Riley and Shannon meticulously broke theirs up into little squares and threaded it around the drive way to the trap. Corey? He tore up one for the bait and promptly ate the second one. Then the boys decided that wasn't enough. Did I have more bread? I says sure. In we go. Half a loaf latter, we are ready....... My drive way is lined with all kinds of curved lines of bread cubes, garbage can propped up, extension cord extending to the front steps, three noisy boys and God knows what the neighbors thought we were making. You guessed it. No birds fell for the trap. Notta one. Then Grandma is getting tired and takes the boys inside. Sometime later Grandpa must have dismantled the "trap".

Then there was the computer. They all wanted on it. It got so bad, I actually set the timer on my stove for thirty minute intervals for each one. When it would be Corey's turn, he would be ok for a while and then he would come running upstairs and tell me he needed me. He goes somewhere on the computer ( don't know how or where) to play this game called SHIFT 3. And he says he likes it in all caps. He wants to know why he can get through level 1 and level 2, but he can't get through level 3. I am thinking, oh Lord! I don't even know how you got here, I can't figure out how to play the game and you want me to tell you why you can't get through level 3? Corey doesn't understand the concept that you get to a point where it is hard, and then time and skill get you further. He wants it now !!

One evening we took off for the Butler county fair. I had heard from the guys at work that we were supposed to have severe storms that afternoon. Colleen researched on the "computer" for the weather and it said all was clear. We took off first in our truck , Colleen following in her little compact car with the boys. The further north we went, the worse it looked. Cell phones were used. We decided to go as far as Valparaiso and see what it looked like then. Dumb idea. By then it was too late. We drove right into a terrible storm. We took it better in the truck. Collen on the other hand, had no visibility either but also had a hard time keeping the car on the road due to the terrible wind. Bob and I were able to see a side road and pull off. Don't know how Colleen saw us but she pulled off too and we waited out the worst of the storm.. Back to Lincoln. Cell phones were used. Champions was decided on. Champions is a mixture of games for kids and adults. We started the kids in what I call a climbing maze. You get in and follow it through. It has several levels with all kinds of bouncing things, swings and a big slide to take you back to the bottom. Then you start all over. You can even go into the room filled with plastic balls. The boys, and all the rest of the kids, treated it like a swimming pool. Belly flop, head first or cannon ball. They loved it. Then they wizened up. Grandma, can we play the games? On to the machine to buy tokens. Each game required one or two tokens. They are rigged I think. Most of them give tickets to redeem for prizes. (Should I mention cheap trinkets made in China?) You wouldn't believe how fast three little boys can spend $20. And get so excited over such trivial prizes. Then it was time to eat. What better place for the kids than Valentino's ? The kids really pigged out. Corey ate 4 pieces of pizza plus the rest of his meal. !! Home, baths and bed. Thank goodness, as the adults were exhausted. The kids were wired.

Tattlers? One little individual it a "tattler". The afore mentioned tattler, whose name will not be mentioned, always had something to tell. Truth or fiction? After raising 5 kids, I didn't put too much stock into any of it, but it was very funny at times. Some times he really had to work to come up with a story.

One evening, Laura (Colleens cousin? her dad is my nephew and is her cousin and Laura is his daughter) came over with her little girl Grace. She is very quiet and shy but got along real well with the boys. Especially Riley. At one point in the evening they were all sitting in the living room watching TV, when we turned around and here came Riley walking into the kitchen with Grace sitting on his shoulders. Don't know how she got there, don't know how she stayed there but it scared the heck out of me. I couldn't get to her fast enough to get her down. Mom had a talk with Riley about safety issues and what might have happened. How unwise it is to do that, especially with small children. Grace just turned 2.

Then Sunday afternoon came. They went home. So quiet.

Soooo very quiet.

No comments: