Jun 24, 2008

Bad-Bad-Bad-Bad-Day

You won't believe this, but it rained last night. Really, REALLY rained. Poured. Deluge. I dealt with all my leaks at work and was so glad to get back to the "security" of my own home.

So much for that thought. I pulled in the garage, kicked off my safety shoes and stepped into the house. My heart stopped.. I swear it did....... The first thing I heard was this awful alarm going off in the basement. Purse and coffee cup landed somewhere upstairs, and I ran for the basement. I expected the worse scenario. My socks weren't wet. Buuuuuut, the sump wasn't running and I could hear water pouring into it.

I ran back upstairs and woke Bob. Not much he could do, but he didn't get as panicked as me. Grabbed the phone and called "Thrasher", our basement fixers in Omaha. I didn't think he was as explicit as he could have been in describing our predicament. They told him they would be out tomorrow afternoon.

The clouds are black, rain (heavy) , is expected all day. He left the room when I picked up the phone and called them back. I think he thought I was going to make a fool of myself, but at the expense of a flooded basement, I had some issues to discuss !! Namely the cost of our last 2 summers of flooded basements and on top of that what we paid for them to put this "System" in that was supposed to solve our problems. After they installed this system, I couldn't rest because I kept thinking if the power went off, what good was any system????? So about 2 weeks ago we had them come out and put a second battery operated pump in to protect us... Cost a bundle. We had all our bases covered... NOT so.

I told the woman who answered the phone just what I was thinking. I started with the cost of our two flood experiences, what we had paid the for the "cure" and what could happen to us if something wasn't done before tomorrow afternoon. I did not mention "LAWYER" or LAWSUIT" , but I think she got the idea. Either that or a hysterical woman got her attention. She called back a few minutes later, and miracle of miracles, someone was on their way to our house from Omaha.

The alarm never went off this entire time. Fire alarms should be so nerve wracking !!! About drove us crazy. You couldn't stand to stay in the basement for very long. The outcome? The original pump had burned out. (Installed 2 years ago, and only had a one year warranty). The battery operated one was charging, and doesn't kick in if the power is on? What is wrong with this system??

What was done ? We had them put a "new" pump to replace the burned out one. Then looking at the one in the furnace room, that was held together by duct tape, we had it replaced with a battery operated unit too. The "fixer" installed a bigger unit in my computer room. After the last month and a half of nothing but rain, and constant running, he thought it was too much for the pump.

I can't believe how much money you can spend when a "fixer" is in your home and you aren't doing anything but watching and listening. I am tired, I have a headache and I am ------ off. Sorry about the bad language. I am going to sign off and go to bed. Hope I am in a better mood tomorrow.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

So the one they replaced in the furnace room is a battery back up, will it work when the power is on? Geeze, what a mess.

How about Prudential Realty?

Colleen said...

Help, I can't see ANYTHING on your blog!!! What's up with that?

Getting more rain? Were still not getting ANY.

Anonymous said...

Bobbie , What hapened to your BLOG? It looks like you need the Fixer for that too. Jerry

Anonymous said...

Wow! Really, what is there to say to that! What's the deal about only a 1 year warranty? That's just not right.

The only suggestion I have is putting St. Jude in your basement!

-Kellie

JunesHGP said...

i dont know - but if you click on the text (or where it should be) and highlight it you can read it - so it must just be the same color as the background or something weird.

Colleen said...

Hmm... it's not April Fools... I hope her computer isn't sitting in five inches of water or something!

Bobbie said...

Colleen, you are not getting what I am saying. We now have 2 pumps in each room. One to work normally. One with a battery to run when the power goes out. I hope. I hope. I hope.....

Anonymous said...

It's just crazy that you need 4 sump pumps. Thanks for moving St. Jude! I'm sure he appreciates being appreciated!
-Kellie