Jun 12, 2008

Did You Know ?

Did you know it is possible for one person to mop up 100 gallons of water in 5 hours? Take my word for it. I just finished doing it. Mop bucket holds 5 gallons and I dumped it twenty times.

I left the house early last night thinking "that woman's" office or something would be flooded. Didn't get that far. Made it into the plant as far as the second set of double doors. Purse and coffee went up on the steps and I grabbed a mop and bucket and started in. Second shift chief steward came along shortly after. He got me clocked in and called the shop. They came and blocked off the main hallway. Minimum of one inch of water from one end of the hallway to the other. At 11:30 I went up stairs and checked the offices. Nothing drastic, just put up 2 wet floor signs and went downstairs.

After lunch I joined "the view" (he was in for out of class overtime) in the cool room. We have this riding machine we call the scrubber. When the tank is empty, you set the controls and it has the ability to suck up water. He parked it in the hallway running and we each took squeegees and started pushing water. The water was at least 2 inches deep. Every 10 minutes he would go dump it while I kept pushing. Ninety minutes later we sorta had it under control. Did I say it was actually raining in the cool room? Nice, steady and cold. I have no idea how many gallons of water we disposed of.

Then it was on to long V's break room. Totally flooded. The water was going from one room, under the walls and into the next room. That is where a lot of the water in the main hallway was coming from. Under the walls.

I came home with soaked shoes and socks. Pant legs were wet up past my ankles. Cold, miserable, tired and sore. I have Damien and Raidyn coming soon while mom goes in for a check up.

I don't think Grandma will be quite up to par. Grandpa will have to do some heavy duty babysitting.

After 9 hours of flood control, I am too tired to even think straight. I am afraid to ask Bob what the weather forecast is for today. It is very cloudy and looks like it could pour. Could be a repeat tonight.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Okay, I understand that you bid on a janitor job and all, but when it comes to constant water removal, shouldn't that fall under Maintenance?

Hell, it's "Goodyear," it probably falls under secretarial duty. You should look into it. :)

Bobbie said...

Nope, not maintenance. Definately janitors job. Not mine, as I am office person. Just happened that it was a judgement call on my part. Where the need was the greatest.

Secretarial duty? Too funny.