Jun 11, 2008

Grandkids Without Drama?



We had both boys Saturday night for a "sleep over". It was Raidyn's first time ever away from mom and dad. Considering everything, he did pretty good. The picture on the top is Damien tolerating the camera. The picture on the bottom is Raidyn, NOT wanting his picture taken.


If I counted right, we had 5 episodes where Raidyn "didn't" want grandma anymore. He would cry and put his little hands under his armpits and stomp away with his elbows flopping. Made me think of a chicken flapping it's wings. I just told him that was ok with me and all but one time it didn't last long. That time he threw a toy and I said that's it. SIT..... He cried and cried (with his little hands under his armpits) and finally asked where grandpa was. I said "in the basement if you want to go see him." Off he went with his elbows flapping big time. I wish I could have been in the basement to see what happened or what was said. Evidently he didn't get too much sympathy because he was right back up and must have decided he might as well play, because it beat crying and grandpa wasn't having nothing to do with it.

I made a big bed for them on the living room floor, one for me on the couch and put one of their favorite DVDs in. (Kids get spoiled at grandma's.) They each had a sippy cup of milk. This is where I was really worried. Would Raidyn go to seep, or cry for mom ??? Surprisingly, he lasted about 30 minutes watching the DVD and fell asleep. He only woke up once during the night and wanted more milk.

Damien on the other hand (who loves sleepovers here) was up several times. I fell asleep right after they did, and the TV was still going. At 1:00 AM a weather alert came on and woke me. I got back to sleep but the wind and rain woke Damien and me at 2:10 AM. I got him back to sleep pretty fast, but shortly after 3:30 hard rain woke us both again. That is when Damien decided he needed to hug Uncle Casey. Then I had to tell him Uncle Casey was working. They just don't get the idea that people work in the "dark" time. A hug, a kiss and more milk in his sippy cup and he went back to sleep.

At 5:00 AM he shook me and said "It is daytime grandma." I could not convince him it was still time to sleep. I got up, made my coffee and we came downstairs so we wouldn't wake Raidyn. He played (had all the toys to himself) and had a ball. I sucked on my coffee and wondered what in the heck I was doing up....

Raidyn lasted until 6:15. I couldn't hear him, but grandpa did. (Sent him right downstairs to grandma.) I tried breakfast about 7:30, but that didn't go over too well. Damien wanted pudding and nothing I offered Raidyn interested him. Got some cereal down Damien but Raidyn kinda went without. Figured he wouldn't starve so didn't push the issue.

Mom picked them up about 11:00, and that was our "sleep over" .

4 comments:

Colleen said...

That sounds almost successful! I can't believe how big those boys have gotten!

You mean Dad didn't want to play with the Grandkids at 6:15 in the morning??? Is he crazy? He was probably worried that he'd have to share his toast with one of them, so he sent them off to you.

Bobbie said...

Dad don't play with nothin at 6:15 AM.

Bobbie said...

I thought the sleep over was a complete success, considering what could have happened.

Anonymous said...

Sounded not too bad! Damien cracks me up!

-Kellie