Jun 6, 2008

One More Fixer Guy

After our storm the other night that dumped three plus inches of rain, in 45 minutes, I came home and asked Bob if we had water in our basement. He said nope. I came down stairs and sure enough we weren't flooded. No soaked carpets, no water soaked walls,no furniture floating. Everything looked fine. I came home from work this morning and started moving all my junk out of the way for "Thrasher Basement" to come and install a battery on our sump pump. I have been scared to death all spring with all the storms. What would happen if our power went out? What good is a sump without power? I had to ask Bob to help me move my table, as it is hard to move alone. THAT is when it happened.

Wet socks !!! Water !!! In my basement !!! You don't even want to know what I said. Then we could see the faint water stain going from north to south where it had already dried. The south side was the wettest.

The fixer guy, put a hose in the unit they installed, and said there was a blockage, probably from dirt or silt. He said we should have them, or us ,check it every year. You just hook up a hose to your water supply, pull up your carpet, put hose in in opening and turn on water. If your carpet gets wet, you know you got a plug. Which is exactly what happened when he did that. It is wetter than before he came.

So, after more dollars than you want to know, we have a battery that will protect us from power outages and rain but not from"Mother Nature's' dirt or silt.

This week has been a drain on dollars. We are spending it a lot faster than we deposit it. I know we don't rank up there with Katrina, the tsunamis, the war or most anything else in this world that is going crazy ( republicans) , but we will not turn down any donations.

I can't tell you what preceded this, as I am too upset to talk about it...... maybe tomorrow.

16 comments:

Bobbie said...

June, please don't tell me this is funny.

Bobbie said...

It is not.

Bobbie said...

Really

Bobbie said...

:) :)

Bobbie said...

Jerry, I will deal with you later, when I am in a better mood.

Colleen said...

Oh he** NO!!!

That is freakin rediculous, and I'm sure it's not the fault of the company that 'fixed' it last time. (Sarcasm...) One day short on that sump battery, too. (Would that have even helped?)

Call me when you're not totally irate! Enjoy the many beers I'm sure you finally took time to drink after that...

two words: Century 21

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have to say, you guys are kinda getting dumped on. Maybe Hillary will give you her leftover money?

-Kellie

Laura said...

Bobbie,

I feel your pain. We are having car issues today as well as wet basement issues. Our best guess to the car issue is that someone siphoned gas out of our Jeep while Cary was at work. It is currently in the shop after having to be towed there since it wouldn't start. :(

Bobbie said...

Laura, we are beginning to hear a lot about gas being siphoned. It may get worse.... Wet basement? Is it finished? We know some excellent "fixers" if you need their number.

Bobbie said...

Kellie,
Polititions collect money, they don't donate.

Anonymous said...

Siphoning gas is a sick, low, s***y thing to do. Unfortunately, when gas is at $4/gallon, hamburger is $4/lb, and milk is $4/gallon, people start to go nuts. Hope that is all it is Laura. Keep us posted.

-Kellie

JunesHGP said...

Nope nothing funny to say here today. Hope you are all doing well and getting over the wet basements, car troubles, and all.

I have some friends who are cleaning up from the tornado that passed through Omaha/Millard Saturday night.

UUUUGGGGHHHHHH. Makes you thankful for the good things.

JunesHGP said...

Ya know - come to think of it, you guys may not want to know me...

In the last 5 years or less...

I have had 2 family members and 1 friend be victim to fire in their house or garage.

I have had 2 friends and 1 acquaintance have their roof abused, damaged or torn off.

I have you 2 here with car trouble and water damage...oh...the third one there? US. We just spend close to 2 grand fixin our car and always get water in our basement.

UGH again, they say it comes in 3's so we should all be done - right?

Anonymous said...

My parents had water too. You will have to give me the information for your "fixer" so I can give it to mom and dad.

Love,
Your other daughter, Leigh

Anonymous said...

Gas is being siphoned here too. Guess what? A mortuary van they use to haul caskets was parked outside the warehouse in Webb City and when they went to start it in the morning it wouldn't start. They checked and the catalitic converter had been sawed off. It seems this has been going on in California for some time and it is now coming this way. What good is a sawed off catilitc converter? They are made with platinum. First it was stollen copper and now this. Sorry about all the flooded basements. We had our basement worked on last summer. If we hadn't we would be in the same fix. Which reminds me, I haven't checked since I got home tonight. Spent Saturday night in the Doubletree Inn and Suites.
Outside wall of all the rooms are glass, the intrance to each room is glass. They have two huge glass domes on the ceiling. They have 6 floors and we were on the
5th. At 11:40 PM the sirens go off. Where do you go to hide in a glass building? That was the storm that hit the Millard area. Dodged another storm. I guess it isn't my time yet. Donata

Bobbie said...

Leigh? Serious or sarcastic?