I have to admit, day three was better, but I still hate it.
I spent extra time in the Dynamic Lab today because I just haven't had time. Today I made time. The Dynamic Lab is where they test belts. These belts are on pulley type things where the belts are running. Constantly. At all different speeds. LOUD.... A few are covered with safety guards, most are not. Aisle after aisle of them. The aisles are about the distance from elbow to elbow if you were dust mopping them. You are not allowed to wear any kind of jewelry or loose fitting clothing while working in there. You must also wear VERY good ear protectors. There are a lot of people working in this area, so if you should happen to get caught in the machinery you are not totally alone.
I stopped at the beginning of every aisle and counted how many belts were running. On each side of the aisle. I wanted to make sure I was aware of what was going on around me. I counted the belts as I passed them, and counted the other side as I came back. Elbows are to be kept at your sides at all times. Yet you must be able to sweep the isles. All the way down, make a very tight turn and come back. Then breathe. I kid you not, you get so nervous (scared), you hold your breath. On top of that, the man that runs this department is a total tyrant! He has most people scared to death to take it on the line up. That is why the low senior person usually winds up with it. I took this area because most of it is air conditioned once you get to the offices, labs or training centers. He doesn't scare me, as I figure all I have to do is do my job and not, pardon the expression, "screw" around. Some of you may not know, but our plant is not air conditioned. If it is 90 outside, in some areas it can be 110 or more. Especially where they cure belts. The higher the temp, the worse it is in the plant. Very few windows. We do have some big fans spread through the plant but not enough to help. The word "unbearable" doesn't describe some days.
You might be wondering by now what OSHA thinks of open belts and safety requirements. I have heard from so many people that it is legal that I didn't even bother to inquire at the union hall. I figure, I only have 2 more days, and I will be VERY, VERY careful.
Two days. And counting.
4 comments:
Nice to hear that you still have both of your elbows.
Always a smart alec in the crowd. I no sooner posted and I had an e-mail.
I miss-spelled aisle. I wrote isle. Spell check didn't catch it.
Spell check must be from Lincoln and knew I was thinking of "Misty Iles".. Yummmmmm.
But the smart alec was nice enough to discreetly email you so you could correct the error(s) before anyone knew.
Then you go and let your errors be known here? Crazy lady...
It looks as if you finished the week. No comment since day three. Does that mean it was so bad you couldn't talk about it or you are just worn out with the hazzle?
Hope to hear from you now that week 1 is over.
Donata
Post a Comment