Jul 11, 2008

"Halls"

I was going to comment in the comments Jerry, but decided it would be too long so I had better post. I had to laugh remembering that trip to Georgia. If Dad and Bud had been required to wear slacks (they never wore jeans) , the whole trip, they never would have gone.

Back where I come from the proper terminology was "halls". Not overalls, bibs or bibbys. Halls. Not those solid blue colored ones either. Had to be those striped ones. Kinda white with blue stripes, or was it blue with white stripes? Whatever.

There were "chore" halls. Those only worn to do chores, go to the field or work on machinery. There was "going someplace" halls. Those appropriate for the sale barn, Saturday night in town or somewhere casual they went. These just hadn't quite been worn enough to be delegated to the "chore" category. Then there was "Sunday" halls. To be worn only on special occasions that didn't require dress slacks and heaven forbid, a tie.

They were always worn with the plain blue work farm shirt. Never with any other kind. And then always long sleeved shirts. Year round. Winter and summer.

Back then all we had was a wringer washing machine and you would start with the whites and work your way through the laundry using the same water for it all. "Chore" halls were the last to go in. I even had some throw rugs that went in before "chore" halls.

If they were going someplace, they had to remember to take their wallets as they weren't carried on the farm. And the check book. Not that they ever wrote checks. Whatever they bought, be it groceries, farm equipment, clothes -anything- they handed the check book to the person they were buying from and they filled it out. All they did was sign their name. Forgot the check book? No fear. Who can remember counter checks? Stores would have a drawer or box of blank checks from banks in surrounding towns. You would just tell the clerk what bank and they would pull one out for you. I even wrote checks and signed dad's name. Back then it wasn't so much the signature, but to tell the bank what account to take the money out of. Wouldn't want to try that today.

Dad had a watch. If Dad put his watch on you knew it was a special occasion. Bud carried an old pocket watch pretty much all the time. That was about all the accessories for them. They didn't have much to clutter their lives.

The kids were used to them and their halls. One time in Lincoln Bob and I were out shopping for something. Casey must have been around 2 at the time. I needed to free my hands, so I just put him down on the floor by me. He was so good, I didn't pay too much attention to what he was doing. When I looked, here he was holding on to a strangers pant leg. This man had on a pair of "halls". Blue and white stripes (or white and blue stripes). About the same time Casey looked up at the man and realized it wasn't Grandpa. Back to Mom and Dad fast !!

I am sure they were very different from what Jan's mother and aunt were used to, but back in the mid-west, small town farm country it, it was the way life was.

No, I don't think any of my stories would work for Reminisce. Bob's are so much more interesting and humorous. I will continue to post them once in a while and bore you with them, but that is about all.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

The halls were blue with white stripes. I remember Grandpa's pocket watch, too. 'Course he was done farming, then, so to me he always had it.

Every morning he made bacon, eggs, and toast. His house smelled so good in the mornings. I always associate that smell with his place.

As far a smell association goes, I always think of Grandma Landkamer when I smell pencil shavings and rootbeer.

She always had a tin of crayons and colored pencils in the kitchen for the grandkids, and the ONLY kind of sweet I remember there were those nasty rootbeer-barrel candies.

Anonymous said...

They are just called BIBS down here, southerners wear the plain blue ones. I even have a pair that I wore while building the cabin, Janet didn't want anybody to see the plumbers crack while I was doing certain jobs. Don Van Westen wore those striped ones as well as most farmers around there did. They also served as an ash tray when they went to visit a non smoker. The breast pocket was Don's favorite ash tray,but a cuff would work as well. Jerry

Anonymous said...

Good story Bobbie.
When I think of overalls I think of Uncle Joe and Don Van Westen. If I remember correctly Don always left the side snaps open.
Donata

Bobbie said...

That was the nice thing about "halls". I never saw a butt crack until I grew up and moved away from the farm.

I forgot about the cuffs !! Dad and Bud would use them for an ash tray when they had to. Funny memory. Thanks for bringing it up..

Sometimes the sides were left open in the summer, but otherwise it was just the bigger guys that left them open Donata.

Colleen said...

I borrowed three pairs of worn Mack overhalls from my friend's dad (a 6 foot-tall heavyset trucker) to wear through my pregnancy.

I wore them everywhere (especially the factory I worked in,) without being at all embarrassed. They rocked!!!

JunesHGP said...

awesome awesome stories - from you bobbie, and all your guest "comment-ers".

I had never heard them called "halls" - but then again I grew up in Lincoln, and don't recall too many of my family wearing them...

I sure hope I am able to remember as many good stories as the rest of you. Seems that a good memory runs in your family!!

(not mine)

Laura said...

Yep, my grandpa had those blue with white stripes overalls. It was rare to see him in something else. Donata, he did usually keep the side snaps open. And, yes, he did use the pockets as an ashtray from time to time.

Laura said...

Colleen, I remember those root beer barrel candies at Great-Grandma Landkamer's too! My grandma (your aunt) always had Certs or Breathsavers (with the blue disc like thing in the middle. We always had to have some!