Kind of an explanation on one of yesterdays posts.
Two weeks ago I was promised 3rd shift, doing my same job for two weeks only and then I would go in to pick (or be given ) a new job.
This is the second week.
Then 1st shift got it in their head to start this offering a voluntary layoff thing all over again. I went into work yesterday and was told I was going to have to stay on the job, go to 2nd shift and the job would be a combination of all the terrible jobs I have turned down on Saturday overtime !!!!
I went to the union hall and explained my side of the story and what was said when I agreed to stay another two weeks. The president said he was probably part of the cause of the problem because he had forgotten the agreement that was made at the time. He told me to go home and get some sleep (fat chance) and he would "fix" it.
Last night at 12:50 am., my lead hand was still telling me, "You will go to 2nd shift "Dearie", with bells on". Number One: I absolutely hate men who call women "Dearie". Number Two: I knew the idiot didn't know what he was talking about. I just left and went to break. No point in talking to an idiot. (Believe me !! There would have been no bells either!!!)
Twenty minutes later he found me and threw a print out at me. He said, "It is official "Dearie". It was the surplus notice for the week. I am #3 on the list. I do not have to stay!! No second shift !! No terrible job!!
Yet.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring...... I just know I go in at 8:50 in the morning for a job. I will go to the union hall after work and see if they have a "bottom man in the plant" list. I will have two choices. Previously qualified or bottom man. By a technicality I am considered previously qualified in positive drive. I know nothing about anything in this department. The reason I am considered "qualified" is because when white bands became obsolete, what little was left of this department was absorbed into PD. Being qualified in white bands then made me qualified in PD. (Positive Drive.) This actually would not be a bad place to go. They are building a new area for this department and will be moving in the next few months. It is called environmentally friendly. Meaning. AIR CONDITIONED !!!!! Why would I go anywhere else ??
Bad thing is. I can hold 3rd shift in PD for now but I will have to train on 1st shift. It is a 14 week training period. Will be a long 14 weeks !!!
I have paid union dues for almost 22 years and this is only the third or fourth time I have needed union representation. Kind of expensive, but well worth the money in this instance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 comments:
Umm.. me thinks the union has had to deal with you a few more times than that!
Good job gettin' out of there, dearie!
Wow - Good Luck. Is that where my dad ended up? He still has like 9 more weeks or training yet. If it doesn't kill him first. He is a hurting unit.
Just trying to hang on for a few more years.
I talked to your dad this morning June. He is in long V's. Not PD.
We had to talk about his grandkids. Said he was out all day Monday and you guys went to Val's Pumkin Patch.
Did he do a good job spoiling them????
Post a Comment