We got to the surgery center early. I knew I was going to be put out for it but wondered how I would feel when I woke up. Not to worry. After they started the IV, they had me roll on my tummy. The anesthesiologist said he would give me a little something to relax me and he was going to put a block in the back of my leg. My next memory was waking up on my back with my leg very numb. Cool. They told me it could last 12 to 36 hours. It lasted 28 hours. I had 2 different pain pills to take. One very strong and one not so strong. I thought I could only take one or the other. Wrong !!! I was supposed to take them both, just get on a schedule to not take them together. I had 4 VERY bad hours until they kicked in. Otherwise, it has not been bad at all for pain.
On day 3 I started vomiting and had to cut the dosage of one of them. Not a good day at all !They also made me itch something terrible, but no way was I going to quit them altogether until I knew the pain was under control !!!
Prior to surgery I bought 3 pair of men's size large lounging jammie bottoms. I knew I was going to start out with a splint for 2 weeks and then go to a cast for 4 weeks. I had never had either of those two, but I knew I would not be able to get my jeans on. Jammies would be the answer. WRONG !! When I was ready to go home, I couldn't even get them to my ankle. The nurse had to cut them to my knee. Thank God for Ginny. She came over and measured around the splint. Can you believe? It measured 21 inches. No way was I going to get anything I owned over that monstrosity!! She took all 3 pairs home, slit the right leg to the knee and hemmed them for me. I just use a couple of pins to close them and they work great !!! When the right foot is done, she will sew that side closed and repeat the process on the left side for foot number 2.
Christmas Eve. morning I had my first doctors appointment. Of course, I wore my best jammies !! They cut the splint off and I got my first look my foot. Ugly !!! I have 3 incisions. There are also 2 screws in the side of my foot that will stay with me forever. I also have a rod sticking out of the end of the toe next to my big toe. That will probably be pulled out on my next visit along with the stitches. The very thought of taking that rod out does bad things to my stomach !
I survived.
4 comments:
I thought you were going to post a picture of your cast for the boys to see?
SOON
We are glad the surgery went well and that you are up and about. Will pray for the next foot to be even better. Have fun with the "spit baths" or the lick and a promise!! Sherry again.
Good to see you blogging again Bobbie. You have sure been through a lot.Just a silly suggestion, why not just put the pajama bottoms on backwards when they do the other foot? I don't think it will make any difference if the fly is on the back side. You may not appreciate my humor but I am a thousand miles away, so what can you do to me?
Jerry
Post a Comment