What is it about that word that can make a person break into a cold sweat immediately? If you have never found one , you don't know. If you have, you know what I mean. FEAR....
Not very long ago I sat with a family member while they waited to find out if one was serious. The thoughts that go through your mind at the time are enough to scare a person to death. So scared you can't even say a prayer. Only said in your mind, and hope it was delivered to the right man.
Then almost 3 weeks ago I find a lump in the arch of my right foot. SWEAT... I know right away it isn't breast or lung cancer. When I start to calm down, I think, what a dumb place for a lump. If my feet didn't hurt after work, I would never have found it. Just massaging my poor dogs, and there it was.
I rationalise, I am sure it is a cyst. Of course that is the answer. Then I think. Don't they only come in places like wrists or over worked parts of the body ?? Or breasts? Then I decide to watch it for a while. Like a dozen times a day. I should say night, since that is my day. I swear some times it had doubled in size. Then I would calm down and of course it was about the same size.
Compare it with the other foot !! Maybe it is just normal. Here I sit with both my feet up on the computer desk, one hand on each foot checking them out. Oh my God !!! Cramps in the calves of both my legs. Thought I was going to die. I changed to both feet on the floor, one hand checking a foot. Nothing on the left. Something on the right that shouldn't be there.
I see the nurse at work. Dumb me. So scared, I forget we have them whenever we need to talk to someone with a medical back ground. She thought it was a cyst, but was concerned because of the location and size, and that I didn't feel pain or discomfort. She said, see a doctor because it didn't belong there.
I call for an appointment. Over a week until I can get in !! I make the appointment. I go to work every night and check it a dozen times for any changes. I went to the doctor this morning. My appointment was at 9:45 A.M. It was so darned cold in that room, I didn't even get nervous waiting for him. Really, really cold. I always bring at least a sweater when I go. Again, FEAR, made me forget what I would normally have thought of. Thirty minutes later he comes in.
A ganglion (don't know the spelling, but you know what I mean) cyst. The unspoken prayers went to the right man. I am going to a specialist. He will either say it is fine the way it is, want to biopsy it or remove it.
Whatever he says, will be just fine compared to what my imagination put me through.
10 comments:
Yikes, lady! Hate hearing about stuff like that on your blog, you DO know my phone number, right?
Remember the ganglion cyst in your wrist (me and I think Dan had them, too?) It disappeared right before your physical at Goodyear. Smash it with a Bible, right? ;)
Must be in your blood.
Wow, I know JUST how you felt there mom!
Sounds like a strange place for a cyst.
Keep me posted, and you should have told me about it!
-Kellie
p.s. I remember the one you had on your wrist.
Glad that is all it was. God is good.
tell your daughters to lighten up a bit...you've been busy fixn (see - four letter word) this darn blog (couple more four letter words)
hahaha :0)
Actually, I can't say that - I was recently very ticked at my own mother for not telling me something either. Oh well. Hope I didn't just start something...
Bobbie, I had one of those Ganglion cysts back in 1993. It was on a tendon just above my ankle bone. I went to my orthapedic surgion with it because I thought it was something that was caused by geting hit with a tree trunk on the same ankle a few years earlier which resulted in a hematoma,(bleeding under the skin). He said there was no conection, but said I needed to have it removed because it could weaken the tendon and cause it to part. While I was waiting for the surgery the tendon did snap and had to be surgacly repaired. He said that it was the one that goes under the foot to the other side. He said it may not hold after surgery but it was not a very important tendon. I had heard of slamming them with a heavy book like a bible to break them, but that sounded worse than having it removed. I dont know if they are always on a tendon or not, but you should probably get it removed. My tendon is still holding together after 15 years.
Whoever posted the last comment made ne laugh. I had a cyst on my wrist once and the book trick is just what the doctor brought up.
I thought of trying that myself to see if it might be a cyst. Only problem here is that it is in the arch. Not attached to a joint . Nothing but soft flesh and if you try to hit it, the cyst just went further into my foot. Nothing behind it.
Check and see if you can hit your own foot, in that spot. I wish I had a video of me trying. I could put it on that dumb TV show and win $10,000.
These cysts mostly come in places like you described.
By the way, I used a a Webster's dictionary. I thought if I used my Bible I should read it and not go trying to pop a cyst.
I also tried many times to pop it with my fingers. Didn't work either.
Stubborn sucker....
June, you made me laugh today. You just gotta watch those four letter words.
Don't worry about the girls. I am sure they know that if it had been serious they would have heard it from me face to face and not in such a cruel way.
If you think about it, it doesn't hurt any of us to realize in a rather shocking way just how fast our lives might change.
Remember the John Lennon quote? "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans".
I think you should give your cyst a name and treat it like a pet. Then maybe it will just run away one day.
I think she should name the cyst "Corey's glasses". then it would dissappear for sure.
Grandpa
You got that right, Grandpa!
Bobbie, sorry about not signing my comment.I am used to my name being on the other forum, where I don't have to sign. I will talk to Bob over the weekend . Have a Happy 4th. Jerry
Post a Comment